The animated line-drawing illustrations at Ralph Ammer blog definitely make me want to read every post!
This widely-installed ExpressionEngine add-on is a general-use text-formatting plugin that enables access to PHP string functions without activating PHP in the template.
Why would you not want to activate PHP in your template? One important scenario for the plugin is that you actually have activated PHP, but set to parse at the input stage, while you need something else done in the same template requiring PHP to be set at the output stage. Also, people just like using it, particular in templates where not much PHP is needed.
The download file contains a version of the plugin for both EE v1.x and v2.x.
Threads at the ExpressionEngine Forums where PHPStringFun is mentioned as a solution:
- String Functions?
- removing a specific set of characters from a variable
- phpStringFun and Magpie
- Plugin: Child Categories
- Test if field contains string?
- Checking the first 4 characters of a field
- Limiting Summary
- Plugin to delete some segment of text
- Deleting a string segment
- how to shorten (format) a text/string?
- Force lower case
- Variable modification: lowercase/uppercase transformations, etc.
- How to extract the 3 left characters of a string
- Simple Breadcrumb Menu Code
- Format numbers using EE
- Displaying “read more” next to the body’s last character
- Dropcaps Plugin